Monday, February 3, 2014

words like pebbles...and bricks


You can drop words like pebbles into a pool, and watch them splash daintily in, one "plink ploop" at a time. Ripples will transcend across the surface, the transformation gentle and serene...
or...
you can heave your words like a brick into the centre of the pond, step back and let the waves crash by, shocking everything they roll over.
Sometime, I'd like to do that.

I'd like to leave jaws dropped, hands frozen part-way through the act of wiping the water droplets away from their eyes...I'd like to stand back, dry and calm, and look at the puddles, sand displaced and grass underwater, dirt that was hidden at the bottom of the pond swirling around near the surface.

I'd like to one day wield the full power of words packed into paragraphs molded into meaning. Someday, I'll pretend that I know what I'm doing, and I'll chuck fears away and simply go for it, dive in without my lifejacket, heave that brick into the centre, and just watch. And see.

Because really, aren't I holding back? Aren't we all a little scared of this beast called writing, of this huge power made of words, mere ink on the page...but somehow, inexplicably more? I don't claim to understand what I'm playing around with, at least not all the time...but someday, I'd like to stop trying to and just go for it, throw everything I've got into a piece of writing and see what comes out, see what kind of effect it has...

because I often wonder, how much power do I have? And what would happen...


if I used it?
 

1 comment:

  1. WOW. This is beautiful. Please publish a book because I want to buy ten copies of it. :) You have a gift with words, and I know God will use your gift to do amazing things!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from you make my day! ♥ True story.