Friday, July 19, 2013

teen writer interview - Hannah

I'm Hannah. A writer or words, reader of books, drinker of tea, follower of Christ. I have a really bad case of wanderlust, I think cats are the absolute greatest, and I take a lot of photographs. I live in Ireland and love it.
Why I write. #writing #quotes
|source|
How old are you? I'm sixteen years old.


What kind of writing is your favorite and why? I've always been most interested in writing novels. I do like writing poems sometimes, though.
 
 How long have you been writing? I've been making up stories and telling them to my little brother for along time - but I think I was around 7 or 8 when I first wrote one of those stories down.


What is your favorite genre to read? Fantasy has always been my favorite. What Lloyd Alexander said once pretty much sums up why - “Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding it.”
 
 Which were you first, a reader or a writer? Why? I'd have to say a reader. It was my love for other people's stories that inspired me to make some of my own.

 What do you love about writing? I love that in writing, you're free to make anything happen. It's all up to you what your characters are like and what happens to them. There's so much freedom in writing.

 Is there anything about writing you particularly dislike? The big one is how extremely frustrating it is when what seems like a brilliant idea in my head sounds really lame when I write it down on paper. It sometimes makes me feel like just completely giving up on my idea.

 Is it easy or hard to share your work with others? Oh, I find it super hard. It hurts to hear other people's opinions sometimes. However, I do know it critically important to hear other perspectives and in the end I'm thankful for their advice.

 Do you often find yourself dealing with the dreaded writer's block? How do you deal with it? One thing that I've found helpful to me is taking a break and going outside. Whether I go on a walk or take some photographs in my backyard, being out in the fresh air for a while seems to clear my head and inspires me to start writing again.

 What is your favorite writing quote? “No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader.” - Robert Frost.
 
 Is there a book or article or website that has been particularly helpful in your growth as a writer? A book called The Wand in the Word: Conversations with Writers of Fantasy by Leonard S. Marcus was really inspiring to me. It touched on so many different subjects in writing and answered so many questions I had.
 
 

 What's your favorite place to write? The most comfortable place is on my bed. Or if it's warm enough, I love to sit outside.

 The best piece of advice someone ever gave me was -  I got a book at the library recently that was full of interviews of different authors. The interviewer would ask each one what advice they had for young aspiring writers. Almost every author would reply with something like "Just don't stop writing". It's such simple and obvious advice, but I found it really helpful and I often repeat that over to myself when I want to give up.


again, I don't know who I'm going to have next week - hopefully someone will turn up! - but as far as I know, there will be an interview, so be sure to check back!
(if you're a teen writer who would be interested in doing an interview here, just leave me your email in the comments and I'll send you my questions.)

Rebecca's interview
Danielle's interview
Keira's interview
Beecheerful's interview

Mackenzie's interview

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments from you make my day! ♥ True story.