Monday, February 25, 2013

train // a short story

The chill wakes me at midnight, frigid air nipping at the only part of me that isn't covered by the bed covers; my nose. Ann forgot to close the window, I think, wishing that my sister's fresh-air cravings would limit themselves to summertime.
 
Of course, now that I've woken enough to notice the cold, I can't ignore it. Ann slumbers peacefully beside me, her breathing even and slow, but no matter how deep I burrow under our down comforter, I can't seem to get warm. The curtains flutter in the winter breeze, and I imagine icicles forming on the handles of our dresser; snow blowing in through the window and settling gently on every surface, the gleam of trophies on the desk masked in a blanket of silent fluff.
The night is perfectly quiet. Lonely. Black. The phrase "dead silent" comes to mind, and I shiver, though not from cold. I suppose reading Agatha Christie murder mysteries right before bed wasn't such a great idea, because instead of being sweet and soothing, the night feels like an enemy.
A hollow wail slices through my reverie, riding on the wind like a high flute melody. It slips in through the window and seems to curl, the echo settling for a moment in the heart of my bedroom, before fading away to nothingness.
I lie absolutely still, mind racing with dozens of possibilities.

Shuk-cha, shuk-cha, shuk-cha
Ahwhooo

The anguished cry cuts through the silence again, and I sit up in bed. It's only a train. Only a train.
Shuk-cha, shuk-cha, shuk-cha
Just a lonely train, winding its way through a dark, lonely night. I wonder how many other nights this train has traveled, how many more await it in the future. And suddenly I feel the need to see this train, to know that it is not alone tonight; and neither am I.
I slip out of bed, leaving my warm nest beside Ann, and step barefoot onto the icy wood floor. A freezing cold breeze slaps me in the face, and I shudder as goose-bumps rise on my arms and back. In two quick steps I've crossed the room and parted the curtains, leaning half-out of the window in order to see the tracks about a mile from our house.
A beam of golden light cuts through the black countryside like a knife, and I can hear the echoing thud and whirr that mean the train is rounding the corner, about to come into view.
The curtains whip into a frenzy, dancing beside me as the wind picks up, and I give in and tug the window closed, pressing my nose to the frozen glass. I try not to breathe so the fog won't obscure my view, but a small cloud of mist frosts the glass near my mouth anyways.
At last, my train rounds the bend and comes into my view, and I rest the pads of my fingers on the icy window, leaving damp fingerprints in my wake. I feel a kinship to this beast of metal and wooden tracks, he who travels the road laid out before him, and so I stay at the window until the beam of light has faded, until the
shuk-cha, shuk-cha
has become but a memory. And out of loyalty to this other lonely night creature, it is only then, minutes after the caboose has vanished from my view, that I draw the curtains and tiptoe across the floor back to bed. 





not my image. if you know where it comes from
please let me know and I'll be happy to link
back

   
 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing. Absolutely beautiful.

    -"And suddenly I feel the need to see this train, to know that it is not alone tonight; and neither am I"-

    I love that line especially. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I don't write short stories very often at all, but I was walking Toby and a train went by, and I thought of this.

      Delete

Comments from you make my day! ♥ True story.