Monday, August 27, 2012

wk 2 - camping


 
 
We stuffed the van full with suitcases and sunscreen and went camping. (except with a little bit more planning than that last sentence implies.)

 

 
This is our third year at the same (great) campgrounds on the same (beautiful) site with the same (absolutely wonderful) people. This is our third year swimming at least twice a day and sleeping on horrifyingly uncomfortable air mattresses and making ourselves feel ill eating too many s'mores and getting up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night every single night.
 

 

 
We were talking about Cracker Jack for some reason, and I asked my uncle what, exactly, it was. The next day he came back from the store with a bag of it just especially for me. Wasn't that nice of him?
 
I like the peanuts best.

 


 
 
Also this week I had a chance to do some a lot of reading. Dad brought a book by Bill Hybels titled "Whispers: Hearing God; Having the Guts to Respond," which I picked up because it looked interesting.
FANTASTIC read. I'm planning to do a book review on it sometime in the future, but in the meantime you should all snatch it up out of your local library. Buy it if you have to...but read it, please.
 
Also, has anyone here heard of a book called "The Nightingale?" It's a novel by Agnes Sligh Turnbull. It's pretty old - the copy I dug up from downstairs is yellowed and breaking at the spine. Yes, it's a romance...but the boy-meets-girl plot is only a small part of the book. And yes, of course the girl gets her man (because they always end that way) but it was a good read anyways. I fell in love with the characters after the first 30 pages and when my parents made me break for supper when I was nearing the last few pages...well...it wasn`t good.
I`ll be writing a more detailed book review on this one, too.
 
 


 
We attended a small talent show put on by the campground a few evenings ago, and I had an absolutely mind-blowing epiphany. I shall post about this later as well (probably around the same time I write up those book reviews.) Still trying to wrap my mind around the whole experience, actually. It's funny how the most enlightening epiphanies are the ones that you thought you knew already - they're always about things I thought I understood.
Sometimes it's pretty sweet being proved wrong.
 

 
 
 
 
 
Also, on the second-to-last day we stayed there, we had modified s'mores at lunch. My uncle had brought far too many s'more supplies so he spread the graham crackers, marshmallows, and numerous bags of chocolate (Aero, Reeses' Peanut Butter Cups, Jersey Milk, Kinder Egg Surprise, etc) out on the table and told us to fall to.
 
Potential highlight of my week.
 
My cousins and I basically attacked the stuff - in about ten or fifteen minutes all but one bag of chocolate was gone and the younger guys were playing with the toys that had come out of the Kinder Surprises.
My aunt then asked if there were any Peanut Butter cups yet and I had to tell her that they'd been gone for at least 10 minutes. And I probably ate more of them than anyone. Oops.
 
 

 
 
 
It was an amazing week and I had a blast, but it's good to be home, too. I missed my house a lot after being gone for almost two whole weeks.
 
Dreading and looking forward to the start of school next week - it looks as though I might be teaching a band group at our homeschool co-op this fall, which is very freaking-out-exciting. I'm also signed up to take my Bronze Cross swimming course, which is step 2 out of 3 steps to becoming a lifeguard. I'm terrified but really looking forward to it anyways.
And it'll be fall soon! The weather starts getting cooler, the days grow shorter, I can put my jeans back on again...all wonderful things.
 
The only part I'm not looking forward to is Algebra...-gulp- Oh well. I'll make it, I guess. I always do. And I promise I won't complain about it too much on my blog. After all, it's a new book. Anything could happen!

4 comments:

  1. Amazing pictures! The bokeh is stunning! <3 An I can't wait until your huge epiphany blogpost :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are pretty nice pictures.

    army

    ReplyDelete

Comments from you make my day! ♥ True story.