Thursday, April 12, 2012

Control

It's something we all want to have, at least in some area of our lives, but as Christians, it's something we need to learn to live without - we need to be putting complete trust and faith in God, letting Him be in control of our lives.



I don't know about you, but sometimes that's pretty easy.

...and then again, sometimes it's terribly hard.

I find it easiest to let God be in control of the less important areas of my life. Math grades, friendships, and plans I have to make are much easier to deal with if I remind myself that God has a plan that trumps anything I could ever come up with.
But when it comes to the most important things - like the lives of the people closest to me - I don't want ANYONE controlling what happens to them.
Except me, of course.


But not only is that kind of thinking selfish, it's also preventing me from drawing closer to God. How can our relationship reach its full potential if there are areas of my life that I don't want Him to work in?
If I put boundaries on what He can and can't do, I'm putting boundaries on our relationship.

In this case, control is very closely linked to trust. Why don't I trust Him enough to take care of me? Why don't I trust Him enough to believe that He WILL work all things for good? (Rom. 8:28)

I'm too afraid of what I might lose by trusting Him...but by NOT trusting I'm losing even more already.

It's time to let go. I'm not ready to let go, yet - I don't think I'll ever be ready - but it's something that I need to do whether I feel ready or not.
Although...by trusting God with my life, am I the giver or the reciever? Doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible that if you give your life to God He'll give it back a thousand times better than it was before?
"For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it." (Matt. 16:25)

In losing my life....aren't I just turning around to gain it again?

If so, then what's holding me back?



1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of the quote: "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.” (Maybe by Jim Elliot.)
    ~Aidyl
    www.aidylewoh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments from you make my day! ♥ True story.