Monday, May 7, 2018

query letters and discouragement

Lately, I've been writing query letters. It's been a little bit of a thrill, putting the names of actual real-life agents and publishing houses before my one-paragraph pitch ... but it's also terrifying. When the book is just a concept, or a rough draft, you can dream big, because there's no one there to stop you. Writing query letters is the first step to realizing my dream of getting published, but it's also a reminder that soon, I'll be opening myself up to reality; the reality being that most of the people who read my one-paragraph pitch are going to say no. Some of them won't reply at all. And if you think about that too long, it's easy to get discouraged.




I spend so much time trying to fight back against people who think I can't do this ... even though I haven't sent out a single query letter out yet, I try to talk about my book like it's my job, partially because I hope that some day it is, and partially because I am trying so hard to make people understand how important this is to me. I try to hold my own work with as much respect as I'd like to receive from others, but it doesn't always work out the way I'd like it to. A lot of people think that it's a bit of a joke, a fad, maybe a hobby or a stage or something that I'll grow out of once I hit the real world.

And it stings. It's not easy to take the teasing of others when it's so clear that they don't understand that they're poking at a particularly fragile piece of who I am. It makes me feel like I have something to prove, like I want to work twice as hard to publish Seeing Voices just to show people that I did it, after all. But I don't want it to be like that. I don't want to go down the publishing road because I have something to prove ... I don't want to get this book published for someone else. I want to do it for myself - and out of a desire to share this story that I love with others.

I don't want to turn around, years in the future, and realize that I put so much work into this just to impress people who didn't understand. I want to let them go, right now - stop caring about what they think and keep working hard because I believe in this book ... because I think this is worth something. 

So, I'll keep writing query letters. Someday soon I'll send them away, and at first, all I'll get back are rejections. But I'm going to keep going ... and even if it doesn't work this time, I'm going to write another book, and someday, I'll be sending off query letters for that one, too. The point is, I'm going to keep writing - because I love it, and because I don't do it to win success or brownie points or impress people. I'm doing this because I think it's important, full stop. And I'm not going to let a few days of discouragement hold me back.

What is important to you? What are you willing to fight for even when other people don't understand? Please share!

xx,
Olivia

8 comments:

  1. Aw girl, keep going! This world needs your beautiful words. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! <3 Your encouragement means a lot!

      Delete
  2. "I try to hold my own work with as much respect as I'd like to receive from others" < amen amen amen. Olivia, you have something special. never forget that, and when you feel down remind yourself of it. anyone can write, but not everyone has that special gift of impact in their words, and i have EXPERIENCED that with your words. there are pieces you have shared on here years ago that i, to THIS DAY, still think about. that is pure GIFT. so no matter how bumpy the road or what path you take, rest in the fact that our incredible Papa has put something extremely special and sacred in your heart to share with the world, Olivia. and if God is with you... ain't nobody gonna stop you. <3 love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm speechless. And so thankful. This means more to me than you know. <3 Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Kate! THANK YOU.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I hope you do get published because you have a gift of writing. When I have read your some of your posts, I am moved inside, and this post made me feel that way again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ekaterina! I will keep trying! <3 Your comments are such a blessing to me!

      Delete
  4. I understand that, how people think it might just be a time in your life that you are doing something but it's really not that way. You know you'll be doing that something for a long while. Keep at it. I love the letter idea too.

    Simply Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that I'm late, but I'm so proud of you. I can't wait to see your hard work pay off one day soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments from you make my day! ♥ True story.