Sunday, April 21, 2013

summer goals 2013

I know it's only April (almost May, guys. Almost May.) but I was wearing shorts a few days ago and okay so maybe it snowed yesterday, but we don't have to think about that right now. So, because for once in my life I CAN'T WAIT for summer, I'm making a list of all the things I want to accomplish during my two free months. It's kind of what I do. The list-making, I mean.

Read
I know it seems like kind of a stupid thing to put on a summer list, because Olivia+free time=books, but I'd like to get through some tougher lit. this year. Classics and stuff. Here's my list! (I know it's only seven books, but since I read in my free time anyway, this very short list is the books that I'm going to attempt to read and finish, instead of just picking up on a whim.)

-Les Miserables (Victor Hugo)
-The Book Thief (Marcus Zusak)
-Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy (Eric Metaxes)
-The Tempest (William Shakespeare)
-A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare)
-Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen)
-The Story Girl (L.M. Montgomery)

Write
Another obvious one - but I'm going to be completely honest here: lately I've been talking about writing a lot, but I haven't really been enthused about a writing project since NaNo 2011. I KNOW. It sucks. I've been praying a lot about it, hoping that the creative bug will bite again...or at least that I'll be able to think of a plotline for my latest story idea...
Anyways. I'd like to start working on SOMETHING, because I feel kind of lost without a current project. My weekly writing goals are going to be

-write something every day (one short story or drabble, min. of 500 words)
-actively think of a plotline a week (instead of waiting for one to magically occur to me)
-read some books on the craft of writing
-find a writing buddy and hold each other accountable
-write in my new book, 642 Things To Write About

Take Pictures
Don't know if anyone's noticed, but my pictures have been seriously lacking over the past few weeks. Another honest moment: that's because I've barely touched my camera in ages. I actually resorted to combing through my 2011 photo albums for one post, because I didn't have any new photos. I'd like to reacquaint myself with my little Panasonic over the summer break. I mean, hopefully before then...but definitely during July and August.

Spend Time Outside
Because I'm really not a fan of the heat. I play soccer in the evenings, but I want to take advantage of the daytime, too, even if I'm just reading in the backyard.

Pass My NLS and WSI Courses
(for those of you who don't hang around the pool very often, those terms stand for National Lifeguard Service and Water Safety Instructor, respectively.) Once I pass these two, I'll be able to apply to the pool for a position as a lifeguard and swimming teacher. I'm not too worried about NLS, but the WSI is freaking me out. So I'd really love to pass both of those the first time around.

Over the summer break, I'll be posting updates to let you know how I'm doing. Sort of like a report card, which is an idea I stole borrowed from Kelli down at She Learns As She Goes.

What are some of your summer goals?

3 comments:

  1. You just reminded me how unbelievably close summer is! This is a great list. A lot of the same things that's on my own mental to-do list - including rereading the Anne books.

    By the way, have you read any other books by L.M.Montgomery? The Emily books (there's three) are good - a little strange at times, but definitely worth checking out if you haven't read them yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lists are the most helpful things ever...for keeping track of events, making sure things get done, or just reinforcing the fact that yes, summer will get here. Eventually. :P

      I have read the Emily books, and I did enjoy them (although the first book was definitely the best.) I've also read Kilmeny of the Orchard (very short) and The Blue Castle, which was EXCELLENT. I'm going to reread that one this summer, I think. <3

      Delete
  2. You could try reading Jane Eyre. I'm not typically one for romances but it's not too mushy and it has some interesting plot twists. Oh, oh! The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins is REALLY GOOD. And . . . well, I've read a lot of classics lately but I haven't liked a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from you make my day! ♥ True story.