Monday, April 9, 2018

when it's still snowing in April

When it's still snowing in April and we're all just tired of it, I find it so easy to start connecting my happiness to the weather. In January, I expect snow, so when I wake up to another blizzard, I shrug my shoulders and roll with it.

In April? I start feeling like sunny days are my birthright, like if I have to live through one more day of snowfall something inside me is going to snap, and while it's true that warmer weather is just around the corner (right?) I don't particularly like living in slavery to sunshine.

So, in the absence of a spring breeze or two, here are my best coping methods/ways of finding joy even when it's freezing outside.



1. Make plans 
Sometimes this means meeting people at Starbucks! Going thrift shopping on Saturday morning! Making lunch at a friend's house! Or, if you prefer something a little more peaceful, a quiet night in (with chocolate!!!)



2. Listen to music while doing homework
(Especially the worship kind). I really like Housefires (Build My Life, Come to the River) lately, but I also enjoy some of the spontaneous worship by Bethel (King of My Heart, Do It Again/Yes and Amen).



3. Read a book!
If you're not a bookworm, maybe this isn't quite as helpful for you? But for me, escaping into a fictional world is exciting and fun and it gives me something to look forward to at the end of a long day. Currently I'm in the middle of the Red Queen series (it's kind of like a cross between the Hunger Games and Divergent, so some elements are very familiar, but I'm really enjoying it!) and the arc of Worlds Beneath (which is not only an enjoyable read but leaves me thinking long after I put it down!)



4. Walk as much as you can
Especially on the sunny days! I usually try to walk as much as I can on campus, to snatch any sunlight I can get, but also because I'm much less fidgety in class (or at work) if I've walked for a bit first!



5. Stretch when you wake up
Any combination of deep breathing and stretching is great, even if it's just touching your toes for a few seconds after getting up!! If I don't stretch, around 11am I start to feel tense and irritable, but even five minutes to get the kinks out of my neck will last me almost all day.


What are your best coping strategies for such out-of-season weather? PLEASE SHARE!!

xx,
Olivia


10 comments:

  1. Kitchen dance parties to worship are another go-to for me.. the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved the first two books in the Red Queen series, but was really disappointed when I got to King's Cage. Some of the elements that the author introduced really bothered me.
    I hope you enjoy them though! If you're already in the third book, what do you think of it?
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Abby!! I'm about to start King's Cage and I was so excited :( Did you read the novellas that are part of the series? How were they?

      Delete
    2. I read Queen Song, which was so good! And I started Steel Scars but got bored. It's about Farley, and I had trouble connecting with her.

      Delete
    3. Well that's encouraging at least! I'm looking forward to Queen Song a lot. :)

      Delete
  3. i love all these suggestions! it's still rather gloomy and wintery where i live, and i've been surviving with books, tea, and adding things to a bucketlist that i have for this summer!
    xx
    mira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of tea, too ... the house that I'm housesitting at doesn't have any, and I feel so lost! Haha. What's on your bucket list?

      Delete
  4. It's Springish here (but no two Springs are alike in my valley), but I know about weather blues. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm being affected by it until a sunny, mild day comes along, and I start bursting at the scenes.

    I think I feel better whenever I do something that completely enraptures me so I lose track of time. Making music, painting, stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meaghan, I totally agree ... sometimes it takes a nice sunny day to show you what you've been missing!

      Delete

Comments from you make my day! ♥ True story.